Prepare for your treatment
- Keep the area out of the sun for 2 weeks prior to treatment
- Wear comfortable clothing, that will not rub the tattoo to your appointment. Make sure the tattoo can be exposed easily. If the tattoo is on your waistline, sweatpants are a good option. The treatment area will be sensitive for a few days. Clothing rubbing on the area can cause irritation.
- Make sure the area of the tattoo is clean. If your tattoo is covered by hair, shave the area the day before your appointment.
- For the next 24 hours: A cold compress and elevation are recommended to help reduce discomfort and inflammation. Do not use a cold pack for more than 5 minutes at a time.
- Avoid for the next 24 hours: Physical activity, hot showers and saunas.
- Apply for the next 3 days: Aquaphor, or A&D Oinment with bandage. Change the dressing daily.
- Avoid for the next 2 weeks: Direct sun exposure, hot tubs, pool water and salt water until tattoo is healed.
- Keep the treated area clean and dry while it is healing. Clean the area with antibacterial soap if needed and then pat the area dry. AVOID HIGH-PRESSURE WATER HITTING THE TREATED AREA.
- Some scabbing, blistering, light bleeding and itching may occur. Immediately after treatment, there may be erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) at the treatment site. This usually lasts 2 hours or longer. The erythema may last up to 10 days.
- Do not pop blisters. If you do blister, continue to apply one of the recommended ointments until the blister has healed naturally.
- Do not pick at a scab or allow the skin to become scraped, as this may result in infection and scarring.
- You may take only Tylenol to help with discomfort. Please avoid aspirins, ibuprofens and naproxens because they may increase the risk of bruising and/or bleeding.
- Shaving should be avoided in the treated area until it is completely healed (5-10 days).
- Please apply sunscreen everyday to the treated area after the tattoo has completely healed (5-10 days), even if clothing covers the treated area. Sun will travel through your shirt or pants. The use of sunscreen everyday on the area will also help the ink absorb and help with itching.
- No active tan, self-tanner, bronzers or spray tan 4-6 weeks before and after treatment.
- Massage the treated area 5-10 minutes daily after treated area has healed (5-10 days). Daily deep massage will help ink absorb.
- Remember, not all tattoos will clear 100%. Your tattoo may just fade.
- Please call our office if you suspect your tattoo has become infected.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact our office. 435-215-3945
- Remember: Drink lots of water!